Written by Jamila Powell
You know how the saying goes, Birds of a feather stick together! For the most part I agree with this statement. The reality is you most likely surround yourself with people who have similar thoughts and beliefs. Or ideally you surround yourself with people who are in the midst or who have already achieved the goals you are trying to reach. Those goals can be spiritually, emotionally, financially, etc…
I’ll admit that in the past I have sometimes surrounded myself with bad company. Now in my youthful age I believed that I was an independent thinker and that another persons negative behavior had no effect on me. However, when I look back in time, I realize that I was incorrect. No matter how independent you are if you surround yourself with the wrong company, something will rub off.
Now lets face it, no one is perfect. In fact, I probably could have been seen as bad company by others. Fortunately others saw something positive in me, and where I was weak they were strong. Their strength allowed me to grow, and change. So my question is, who do you surround yourself with, and do they increase your self worth, or tear you down.
Below are some of the lessons I’ve learned from some incredible people in my life.
- God: I really just can’t pin point one thing, because through the Bible and the word of the Lord, I have learned a lot about life and how to live in a better way. The teachings from God are the beginning and the end.
- My Mom: My Mom has taught me how to be patient, how to be a mother, how to dream and achieve, how to love, how to be understanding, and has been an example of all I could ever imagine to be. My Mom is a constant reminder of how not to sweat the small stuff, and how to live life to the fullest.
- Patrick Dennis: I have always attended church but more as a spectator and not a participant. Patrick has taught me how to open my heart to God, the importance of reading and understanding the Bible, and how to pray.
- Rochelle Gapere: Rochelle is my business partner in Social Esquire, and she has showed me how not to judge a book by it’s cover. Rochelle recognizes and acknowledges people regardless of there station in life. Whether it be a homeless person, a cleaning person, or Barack Obama, Rochelle sees and respects all.
- Daniela Backer: Daniela is also my partner in Social Esquire. Daniela is faithful! She is a true example of constant belief in the word of God. She never allows life to permanently get her down. When she gets knocked down, she leaves the situation in the hands of the Lord.
- Toni Stewart: Toni is my dear friend who always reminds me that there are always two sides to every story. I can always depend on her to remind me to think about how the other person may be feeling.
- Dee Dorival: Dee is a kind hearted person, and is giving. She is genuine and dependable. She has shown me the meaning of a true friend.
- Charla Mitchell: Charla is my BFF. She has shown me how to be independent, and how to laugh at life when it doesn’t go your way.
These are just a few of the people in my life who have made a positive impact. If you look at all the people in your life and they don’t bring anything to the table, maybe you are meant to be a positive example. But just remember to not let any of their negativity rub off on you.